Car Accident Lawyer in Carrollton, GA
For nearly three decades, the attorneys of Sherrod & Bernard, P.C, have protected the rights of car accident victims and their loved ones in Carrollton and surrounding communities in Carroll County, Georgia. We work tirelessly to pursue maximum compensation for them and to provide the caring and compassionate attention that they need during one of the most difficult times in their lives.
If you believe that someone else’s negligence caused your car accident in Carrollton, we want to help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation about your case. We will review what happened to you and help you to understand your legal rights and the options available to you.
Common Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle
Our attorneys have experience with handling a wide variety of car accident cases. We understand the unique issues that different types of accidents present. Some of the most common types of crashes that we investigate and litigate for our clients in Carrollton include:
- Motorcycle accidents – Due to their lack of structural protection, motorcyclists can suffer catastrophic injuries when they are struck by negligent motor vehicle drivers.
- Truck accidents – Many tractor-trailer crashes in the Carrollton, GA area involve commercial drivers who fail to follow state and federal safety regulations, including those rules which restrict cell phone use or limit a driver’s hours on the road.
- Distracted driving accidents – It is illegal to use a hand-held device to text or talk while driving in Carrollton and throughout Georgia. Unfortunately, many drivers ignore this law and put themselves and others on the road at risk.
- Bicyclist/pedestrian accidents – As we have seen, these collisions often occur when drivers fail to recognize or simply ignore when bicyclists and pedestrians have the right of way.
- Drunk driving accidents – Like distracted driving, drunk driving is an illegal and dangerous practice. Impaired drivers tend to make careless and reckless decisions behind the wheel and lack the ability to control their vehicle.
- Drowsy driving accidents – Driving while fatigued is extremely dangerous. When fatigued, a person cannot concentrate and may even fall asleep behind the wheel, inevitably causing an accident.
- Reckless driving – Drivers show little to no regard for safety when they drive too fast for traffic and weather conditions, follow vehicles too closely, weave in and out of traffic and engage in other reckless behavior.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist accidents – If an at-fault driver’s liability insurance fails to cover all of a victim’s losses – or the driver has no insurance at all – a crash victim may be able to turn to his or her own UM/UIM coverage.
- Work-related accidents – If a person suffers injuries in a car accident that occurs while on the job, the person may be eligible to file a third-party injury claim in addition to a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.
- Uber/Lyft accidents – If a ridesharing service driver causes a crash and injuries while carrying passengers, the company’s insurance policy should cover a victim’s damages.
- Passenger injuries – An injured passenger can seek compensation from anyone whose negligence caused the crash, including the person who was driving the car which they were riding in.
How Can Our Lawyers Help with Your Car Accident Claim?
When you work with our team of experienced attorneys at Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., we will handle every aspect of your claim while always keeping you up to date on its status. We will start by conducting a full investigation, which typically will include inspecting the accident scene, examining crash photos, talking with witnesses and gathering information about the other driver such as cell phone records and chemical test results.
We will also obtain your medical records and review them with doctors, life-care planners and other medical professionals in order to understand the full extent of your injuries, your future prognosis and the expenses you may incur as you move forward with your physical recovery. Our goal will be to secure all compensation which you are entitled to receive.
Even though we resolve most car accident claims through settlement negotiations, we will be ready to take your case to trial. Our Carrollton attorneys are highly skilled litigators. They will know how to present the strongest case possible to a jury on your behalf.
What Types of Compensation is Available for Car Accident Victims?
Car accident victims can sustain many different types of injuries which ultimately change the course of their lives. The most common types of injuries that people suffer in Carrollton car accidents include:
- Neck, back and head injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Burn injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal injuries.
When you work with Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., we will take the time to find out how your injuries have affected your overall health, ability to work and enjoyment of life. We will aggressively pursue compensation that reflects the full extent of the harm which you have suffered, which may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Emotional distress.
If your loved one died in a car accident in Carrollton, GA, we can pursue damages for you and your family through a wrongful death claim. A wrongful death lawsuit can seek damages such as funeral and burial expenses and the loss of your loved one’s services and support.
What Steps Should You Take After a Carrollton Car Accident?
The steps you take following a car accident are important. They can help protect your health and your claim. After any crash, you should:
- Get medical attention – Some injuries are not immediately apparent such as traumatic brain injury and internal bleeding. For this reason, you should see a doctor right away. A timely diagnosis will be crucial.
- Collect everything – You should gather everything related to your accident, including crash scene photos, witness names and contact information, medical bills, car repair receipts, insurance documents and any written communication which you have received from insurance companies.
- Get a copy of your crash report – The law enforcement agency which responded to your car accident should have a crash report available within a few days after it occurs. You should contact that local agency such as the Carrollton Police Department or Carroll County Sheriff’s Office in order to get a copy of that report. If you have any difficulty, our team can get a copy for you.
- Notify your insurance company – Even if you were not at fault for the accident, you should tell your insurer about it. In fact, your policy may require you to report the accident within a certain number of days.
- Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company – It is never a good idea to give a recorded statement to an insurance company or accept a settlement offer before you discuss the case first with an attorney.
Our Carrollton Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You
At Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., our car accident attorneys are here to help you to pursue all compensation which you are entitled to receive after a car accident in Carrollton, Georgia. We have the experience necessary to negotiate effectively with the insurance company and, if necessary, to fight for you in the courtroom. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.