Douglasville, GA Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
The nerves within the spinal cord transmit messages from the brain to the rest of the body. That’s why a spinal cord injury can be so devastating. It can mean permanent loss of sensation and function throughout the victim’s body. As a result, the victim may face ongoing – and costly – medical care while being unable to work and earn a living. Life may never be the same.
At Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., our personal injury attorneys understand how spinal cord injury can result from the negligence of others in motor vehicle crashes, slip and falls and many other types of preventable accidents. We help victims and their families in Douglasville and throughout Georgia to pursue the compensation they need to move forward with their lives.
If you recently suffered spinal cord injury due to someone else’s wrongdoing, contact us today. We will provide a free consultation about your case and help you to understand all of your legal options.
How Our Douglasville Spine Injury Lawyers Can Help with Your Case
Since we launched our law firm in 1992, the attorneys of Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., have been committed to providing each and every client with the quality personal service and skilled legal representation they deserve. We realize the tremendous challenges that people with spinal cord damage face. Our goal is to help our clients to get through this difficult time by taking care of every aspect of their case, including:
- Conducting a thorough investigation into how the spinal cord injury occurred, including taking immediate steps to preserve evidence.
- Consulting with knowledgeable experts in a variety of different fields, from accident reconstruction to life-care planning.
- Gathering medical records, work records and all other information which will help us to calculate the amount of compensation that our clients are due.
- Demanding maximum compensation for our clients in settlement negotiations with insurance companies.
- Taking cases to trial if an insurance company refuses to make a settlement offer that meets our client’s needs and objectives.
When you work with Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., after you or a family member suffered spinal cord injury due to someone else’s negligence, you will find that our lawyers are friendly and down-to-earth. We will take the time to get to know you, answer your questions and make sure you understand what’s happening in your case every step of the way.
What are the Types of Spinal Cord Injuries?
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most severe injuries that a person can suffer. They often involve temporary or permanent loss of muscle function or sensation. The severity of the injury will depend on where the injury occurred. The higher up the spinal cord, the more serious it will be. Some specific types of spinal cord injuries include:
- Paraplegia – This injury causes paralysis of the legs and lower body. It is considered a permanent injury.
- Tetraplegia – More commonly referred to as quadriplegia, this injury causes paralysis of all four limbs. It is also considered a permanent condition.
- Anterior cord syndrome – This syndrome occurs when the spinal cord is compressed along the midline anterior to the spinal cord. It typically results in complete motor paralysis below the site of the injury.
- Central cord syndrome – This is a common cervical cord injury, or an injury which is located in the neck. This injury typically results in a loss of motion in the hands and arms.
- Brown-Sequard syndrome – This neurological condition occurs due to lesions in the spinal column. It causes one side of the body to experience complete paralysis or weakness, while the other side of the body loses sensation.
When people get involved in accidents, injuries can also occur to the discs in the spinal cord. These discs can become herniated, or bulge, or they can completely rupture. When any of these injuries occur, it is extremely painful for the victim. It often takes months or even years to recover from a disc injury.
What are Some Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries?
With decades of combined personal injury legal experience, our attorneys at Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., know how to investigate the causes of spinal cord injuries. We often work with clients who suffered spinal damages in cases involving:
- Motor vehicle accidents – The spine can suffer injury in a car accident in many different ways. The spinal column may become compressed or crushed, or a direct impact could cause trauma to the area. Even though most car, truck and motorcycle accidents result from the negligence of other drivers, they can also be due to automotive defects such as brakes or tires.
- Falls – Falls are more serious than many people think. When a person slips and falls, they often land on their back, causing trauma to the spinal cord. A fall from heights such as at a construction site can also cause serious damage. Spinal cord injuries also result from nursing home abuse and neglect.
- Assaults – In many cases, more than one person is at fault for an assault. Of course, the perpetrator is responsible for his or her actions, but property owners are also responsible for equipping their space with proper lighting and security to prevent assaults from happening.
- Sports accidents – Personal injury claims don’t always result from sporting accidents. However, they can when the injury was caused by negligent training and supervision or because a school or sports organization provided defective and dangerous equipment.
What Damages are Available for Spinal Cord Injury Victims in Georgia?
Spinal cord injuries are expensive to treat. For instance, the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation estimates that a person with a tetraplegia injury will incur more than $1 million in treatment costs in the first year alone. If someone else’s wrongful conduct caused you to suffer a spinal cord injury, you should not be left with these financial burdens. At Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., we will fight for all compensation that you are due, which may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium.
Get Help from a Douglasville GA Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
When you work with Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., you will get the skilled and caring legal representation that you need during the difficult aftermath of a spinal cord injury. We will work tirelessly to pursue all compensation that you are entitled to receive, and you will pay nothing unless we secure a financial recovery for you. Contact our spinal cord injury lawyers in Douglasville now to learn more in a free case review. Call or contact us via our firm website.