Carrollton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
A motorcycle can be an appealing form of transportation or recreation. But riding a motorcycle on roads and highways alongside other vehicles carries certain risks. No matter how carefully a rider may operate a motorcycle, a rider cannot always avoid accidents caused by the careless or negligent actions of other drivers. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else, you may have a right to seek financial compensation for your medical bills and related expenses.
Since 1992, the Carrollton motorcycle accident attorneys of Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., have worked to protect the rights and interests of injured accident victims across Georgia. With more than 70 years of combined experience, our attorneys have the knowledge and skill to handle even the most complex personal injury cases.
Our firm can handle your motorcycle accident case from the initial investigation to settlement negotiations with the insurance company and litigation if necessary. Our attorneys are focused on seeking results, but we also maintain a friendly and down-to-earth approach when meeting with clients.
Contact our firm today for a free initial case review. Speak to an experienced Carrollton personal injury lawyer about your claim. Don’t wait to learn about the compensation and recovery you may seek after you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Carrollton, Georgia?
Most motorcycle riders understand the risks they may face in the event of an accident and take reasonable safety precautions to avoid a crash. Unfortunately, riders cannot eliminate the accident risks presented by the negligence of other motorists on the road. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Reckless driving
- Failing to look out for motorcycles on the road
- Following too closely
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Talking on a phone while driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failing to check blind spots before changing lanes
- Unsafe turns caused by failure to yield to oncoming traffic
- Running stop signs or red lights
- Unsafe passing of a motorcycle
Other factors that can cause or contribute to motorcycle accidents include poor road surfaces (such as broken pavement or potholes), adverse weather conditions including heavy precipitation or fog, low lighting, and mechanical defects in the motorcycle or motorcycle parts.
What Are Common Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents in Carrollton?
Motorcycle riders don’t have the protection of an enclosed passenger compartment or other safety systems like seatbelts and airbags to prevent serious injury in a collision. As a result, motorcycle crashes frequently result in serious or life-altering injuries, such as:
- Abrasions caused by sliding along the road surface after being thrown off a motorcycle
- Lacerations and cuts
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Burns from contact with hot engine parts
- Internal injuries and internal bleeding
- Broken bones such as a broken leg or broken pelvis
- Dislocated joints
- Soft-tissue injuries, such as torn tendons and ligaments
- Neck and back injuries
- Crush injuries
- Perforation injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and temporary or permanent paralysis
How Is Fault Determined?
Insurance companies will determine who is at fault for a motorcycle accident based on the evidence available. If the motorcycle accident personal injury case goes to court, a civil jury will consider the evidence and decide who is liable. The types of evidence that are important to motorcycle accident cases include:
- The police accident report, which will set forth the basic facts of the accident, note whether any motorists were issued a citation or arrested, and may include the officer’s opinion as to which motorist caused the motorcycle accident
- Accident scene photos, including photos of marks on the road and vehicle damage
- Eyewitness statements
- Surveillance camera, dashcam, or helmet cam footage
- Vehicle damage reports, which may include data from the computer in a car or truck involved in the crash
The determination of fault for a motorcycle accident can have an impact on your eligibility to recover compensation for your injuries and losses. Georgia follows a modified comparative negligence law for motorcycle accident cases. The law says that an injured party may pursue a personal injury claim for compensation so long as the injured individual is less than 50 percent responsible for causing the accident.
However, an injured motorcyclist who bears some fault for a motorcycle accident will have any compensation awarded reduced in proportion to their share of responsibility. For example, if you are found to have been 20 percent responsible for a motorcycle accident and the jury awarded a total of $100,000 in compensation, then the total compensation you would be eligible to receive would be reduced by $20,000 to reflect your share of responsibility.
For this reason, it’s important to have an experienced Carrollton lawyer representing you and fighting any attempts to assign you the blame for the motorcycle accident.
What to Do Next If You’ve Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident in Carrollton
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in Carrollton that was caused by another motorist, you should take the following steps to protect your right to pursue a legal claim and seek compensation for your injuries:
- Get a medical examination as soon as possible after the crash to identify any injuries you sustained in the accident.
- Follow through on all medical treatment recommendations.
- Keep a copy of your medical record, along with copies of all bills, invoices, and receipts for expenses you incur.
- Keep a journal and document the ways your injuries have affected your daily life and ability to perform normal activities.
- Refrain from discussing your injuries on social media until your case is resolved. Even seemingly harmless information may be taken out of context by an insurance company and used to undermine your motorcycle accident injury claim.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash in Carrollton and you believe someone else caused the accident, you should contact the Carrollton, GA motorcycle accident attorneys of Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., for a free consultation. A knowledgeable attorney will review the facts of the accident and discuss your legal options to seek compensation. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can start work on your claim.