Carrollton Truck Accident Attorney
Tractor-trailers are a regular sight on Carrollton roads. Unfortunately, these massive trucks must share the roads with smaller vehicles. When they crash into those cars, it can result in some of the worst accidents on the city’s roads. These collisions typically leave accident victims with severe injuries that are painful, life-changing and costly to treat.
However, if you were recently injured in a truck accident in Carrollton, you may be eligible to file a claim for compensation. Our experienced truck accident lawyers at Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., are ready to help you. We will provide the personal service and skilled representation that you need during this difficult time. Contact us today and allow us to review your case in a free consultation.
- 1 How Can a Lawyer Help with Your Truck Accident Case?
- 2 What Makes Semi-Truck Accidents Different?
- 3 What Are Common Causes of Trucking Accidents?
- 4 How Can You Establish Liability for Your Truck Accident?
- 5 What Damages Can You Recover in a Tractor-Trailer Accident Claim?
- 6 An Experienced Carrollton Truck Accident Attorney Can Help You
How Can a Lawyer Help with Your Truck Accident Case?
A lawyer from Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., can do many things to guide you through the process of filling a personal injury claim after a truck accident. While you focus on your recovery, an attorney from our firm will:
- Determine liability – Identifying which party was at fault in a truck accident is more difficult than determining liability in a crash between two cars. This is because multiple parties may be responsible for the accident.
- Collect evidence – We will take immediate steps to preserve crucial evidence in your truck accident case, including logbooks, black box data, GPS data, cell phone records, toxicology test results and vehicle inspection and maintenance records.
- Calculate damages – Accident victims are not always aware of the full amount of damages they are entitled to receive. A lawyer at Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., will identify all damages in your case so as to pursue the maximum amount of compensation for you.
- Demand a settlement – We will prepare a solid demand package and pursue full and fair damages for you in settlement negotiations. We will refuse to let the insurance company to take advantage of you.
- Go to trial – If the insurance company challenges liability or refuses to make a settlement offer that you can accept, we will be ready to fight for you in the courtroom.
These are just a few of the ways in which a lawyer from Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., will help with your truck accident claim. We will take over every detail of your case while you focus on getting better.
What Makes Semi-Truck Accidents Different?
Truck accident cases are different than cases that involve standard passenger vehicles. Soon after the crash, the trucking company will send its investigators to the scene to try and prove that you were at fault for the accident. The company may also remove evidence that shows the truck driver was at fault. This is one reason why it is so important to work with a lawyer that will also visit the scene immediately to preserve and collect important evidence.
Additionally, multiple parties are often liable in tractor-trailer accident cases. While it is true that the truck driver is often at fault, the trucking company, loading company, shipping broker and truck manufacturer may also be to blame.
Lastly, many state and federal regulations govern the operations of trucking companies and truck drivers such as the hours of service rules. Many people are not aware of these laws and how they may affect their truck accident claim, which also makes these cases more complex.
What Are Common Causes of Trucking Accidents?
Unfortunately, a truck accident in Carrollton can occur in a number of different ways. Some of the most common causes of these crashes include:
- Truck driver fatigue
- Impaired driving
- Poor driver training
- Lack of truck maintenance
- Distracted drivers
- Defective brakes
- Truck rollovers
- Swinging turns
- Tire blowouts
- Overloaded cargo
- Improperly loaded trucks
All of these causes typically indicate negligence on the part of the trucking company or the truck driver. A lawyer at Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., can determine the cause of your truck accident and work hard to hold all negligent parties accountable.
How Can You Establish Liability for Your Truck Accident?
Many parties could be liable for your Carrollton trucking accidents. Those parties may include:
- Truck driver – Drivers are responsible for knowing how to maintain, operate and control the trucks they drive. When they fail to do so, and it results in a crash, they can be held liable.
- Trucking company – Trucking companies must ensure that they hire only skilled and experienced drivers, and they must properly train and supervise those drivers. When they do not, it is considered negligence, and they can be held accountable.
- Truck manufacturer – Truck manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their trucks are in good condition and safe to drive on the roads. When a truck or any part of its equipment is defective, truck manufacturers should be held responsible.
- Loading company – It is not always the truck driver or the trucking company that loads the cargo. When another company improperly loads the truck, the company can be considered negligent.
- Mechanic – Many trucking companies do not perform repairs on their own trucks. Instead, they hire another company to fix the trucks. When those companies fail to ensure repairs are done properly and safely, they can be held liable.
- Government agency – The government is responsible for ensuring the infrastructure is safe, and there are no defects in the roads. When they fail to do this, and a defect causes a truck crash, the appropriate government body can be sued.
At Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., we will work hard to determine which party was at fault for the crash and to hold them accountable for paying all damages which you are entitled to receive.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Tractor-Trailer Accident Claim?
The damages which an accident victim receives in a tractor-trailer accident claim will depend on the losses and injuries which they suffered during the crash. Some of the most common damages in these cases include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Rehabilitative treatment
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., will determine the full amount of damages in your case and seek the maximum amount for you.
An Experienced Carrollton Truck Accident Attorney Can Help You
Truck accidents are often life-changing. If you or a loved one has been hurt in one of these crashes, it is important that you speak to one of our truck accident attorneys in Carrollton, GA today. At Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., we know how to collect the necessary evidence to prove liability after a truck accident, and we will deal with the insurance companies on your behalf to pursue the full and fair settlement you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation.