Bremen Car Accident Lawyer
Were you hurt in a collision in Bremen, Georgia? Did a careless or intoxicated driver cause you serious harm? If so, you should understand that you may have the right to take legal action and seek compensation for your injuries and other losses.
A Bremen car accident attorney at Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is ready to help you. Since 1992, our attorneys have fought to help injured people seek financial recovery and justice from those who caused their injuries and losses. With more than seven decades of combined legal experience, our personal injury attorneys have the skill and resources to handle your car accident claim.
We take the time to understand your needs and goals. We strive to provide the quality legal service that you deserve and will keep you informed throughout your case.
Contact Sherrod & Bernard, P.C. today for a free initial case review to learn more about how our attorneys can help if you’ve been injured in a Bremen car accident caused by another driver.
Common Car Accident Causes
Most car accidents happen due to careless or reckless behavior by one or more motorists. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Bremen include:
- Driving too fast for road conditions
- Following too closely
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving, such as using a cell phone while behind the wheel
- Running stop signs or red lights
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failing to yield to oncoming traffic or traffic in the intersection
- Failure to use mirrors or check blind spots before making a maneuver
A driver cited for any of the above contributing factors in an accident also may be held financially liable for injuries arising from the collision. To seek compensation, the injured person will need to file an injury claim against the at-fault driver’s liability insurance.
Our attorneys can handle a claim on your behalf and negotiate with the insurance company for the full compensation available for your injuries.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, depending on factors such as the vehicles’ speed upon impact, the angle of the collision, and the safety features in the vehicles involved in the crash. Injuries commonly suffered in car accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Sprained and torn ligaments and tendons
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injuries
- Herniated spinal discs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal organ injuries or internal bleeding
- Crush injuries
How Is Fault Determined in a Bremen Car Accident?
A successful car accident claim depends on gathering evidence from the accident to prove the other driver’s fault, such as:
- The police accident report
- Any traffic cam or surveillance camera footage of the accident
- Accident scene photos
- Driver, passenger, and bystander statements
- Records of medical treatment and injuries caused by the accident
- Vehicle damage reports from the auto shop or insurer
- Accident reconstruction reports
Insurance companies, as well as courts, will use the evidence presented to reach a determination of who caused the accident. The determination of fault affects the compensation that an injured party may receive after a car accident.
In Georgia, car accident claims are governed by the state’s modified comparative negligence law. The statute says that an injured person may pursue a legal claim if he or she was less than 50 percent at fault for the accident. Furthermore, an injured party who bears part of the fault for the accident and their injuries may have their compensation reduced to reflect their share of fault.
Dealing With Insurance Companies After a Car Accident
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may have a right to file a claim for compensation with the insurance company of the at-fault driver. But dealing with another driver’s insurance company after a car accident can prove complicated and frustrating.
You should keep in mind that the insurance company is focused on making a profit and isn’t looking out for your interests. The insurance company will try to minimize the amount it pays out to settle a claim. Insurance companies may contact you soon after an accident to offer you a quick settlement. Quick settlements are designed to limit the insurer’s liability. Accepting a quick settlement often means that you receive far less than the total amount of losses you will incur.
Insurance adjusters may pester you with questions about the accident or ask you to provide an official statement. You should avoid discussing the accident with the insurance companies, as they may use anything you say to argue against your claim. A knowledgeable Bremen car accident attorney at Sherrod & Bernard can communicate with the insurance company and provide the evidence to support your injury claim.
What to Do If You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident in Bremen
If you’ve been involved in a Bremen car crash, you can take steps to protect your rights to seek compensation and to put yourself in the best position possible:
- Get examined by a doctor to identify any injuries you may have suffered from the car accident. Follow all treatment recommendations and instructions you are given. If you delay treatment or don’t keep follow-up appointments, the insurance company may argue that you weren’t seriously hurt in the crash.
- Keep copies of all medical bills, invoices, and receipts. Also collect other types of information that show the extent of your injuries and losses, such as photos of the accident scene and paystubs.
- Keep a journal to document the effect your injuries and treatment have on your daily activities.
- Avoid posting any updates on social media. Information you post online may be taken out of context and used by an insurance company to discredit your case.
- Hire a skilled Bremen car accident attorney who can build a strong case on your behalf and fight for the fair compensation you’re due.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Bremen or elsewhere in Haralson County and you believe another driver was at fault, talk to a knowledgeable attorney about your right to pursue compensation for your injuries and losses.
Contact Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., today for a free, no-obligation consultation to talk to an experienced car accident attorney about your legal options. We’ll move aggressively to help you hold negligent or reckless drivers accountable for the physical harm you’ve suffered.