Recent News & Articles
In the Spotlight –
Personal Injury (Media Clip)
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., congratulates Ken Bernard on his recent election to a second term on the Board of Governors for the State Bar of Georgia.
- S&B INVOLVED IN GM RECALL CASE
Our firm is involved in representing the family whose lawsuit over their daughter’s fatal crash exposed problems with GM faulty ignition switches. Although the case previously settled, Ken and Beth Melton have asked that the agreement be set aside based on allegations that the automaker concealed evidence.
Brooke Melton was killed on March 10, 2010 as she was driving up GA 92 in Paulding County. Her 2005 Chevy Cobalt’s ignition switch failed and engine turned off, leaving her without power steering and braking power. After losing control, the young pediatric nurse crossed the centerline and was struck by another car resulting in fatal injuries.
Our firm, headed by Ken Bernard, has joined lead counsel, Lance Cooper, in representing the Melton’s in a case against GM which has been credited by auto safety experts with exposing that GM knew about the ignition-switch defect for more than a decade. Because of this case, GM has recalled more than 1.6 million automobiles.
According to Bernard, “It is our hope that through the litigation process, we will get to the bottom of why GM decided to secretly design a new ignition switch and not tell the public.” The Melton’s trial team expects to get testimony from GM Chief Executive Officer, Mary Barra, and others about the contradictions in what GM employees knew concerning design changes to the switches. “The Meltons are hopeful of getting to the truth and at the same time saving lives in the future,” said Bernard.
For questions about the GM recall and the Melton Case, please contact our office.
- Please enjoy our April 2014 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- John Sherrod recently attended the Southern Trial Lawyers Association annual conference held in New Orleans. The 4 day conference covered a variety of topics involved in handling catastrophic injuries and wrongful death cases. John was joined at the event that coincides with Mardi Gras by wife, Patty, and daughters, Sydney and Lindsey.
- This is a news story about a wrongful death case that our firm handled along with Ben Brodhead on behalf of the widow. This case is an example of overcoming a police report that places blame on the decedent.The attached is the article.
- Please enjoy our December 2013 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- SB was well represented in the Georgia Crown box at Sanford Stadium recently as the Dawgs beat LSU in a thriller. Many thanks to our host, the Leeberns. (Pictured: John, Patty and Ken)
- Ken Bernard recently attended the Southern Trial Lawyers Association’s fall training conference held in Hawks Cay, Florida. The four day event provided intensive trial practice training involving distinguished injury lawyers from across the southeast.
- What does a glazed chocolate pumpkin loaf, legal ethics, football schedules and worker’s compensation settlement have in common? There all covered in our firm’s Fall Newsletter. We Hope you enjoy!
- Insurance Company Pays S & B Client Record Penalty
- Please enjoy our June 2013 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- We congratulate John Sherrod on his selection into membership of the Lawyers Club of Atlanta. The Lawyers Club of Atlanta was founded in 1922 and its purposes are “to promote the principles of jurisprudence; support the administration of law and order; be militant in keeping high the honor of the legal profession; and strengthening the fraternal relations of members of the Bar.”
- Ken Bernard recently attended the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association annual convention in Atlanta. The GTLA hosted annual event brings the best and brightest trial lawyers from across the state together. Its focus is to sharpen advocacy skills and trial strategies in order to better represent families injured by acts of negligence.
- Please enjoy our March 2013 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- John Sherrod recently attended the Southern Trial Lawyers Association’s 25th annual conference held in New Orleans. Aside from the festivities associated with Mardi Gras, the four day event provided intensive training and learning opportunities from fellow trial lawyers across the country.
- Please enjoy Sherrod & Bernard, P.C.’s December 2012 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., was very honored to host our twentieth anniversary reception on October 11, 2012. We celebrated our years of success with many politicians, judges, attorneys, clients, and various other members of our great community. Our firm is extremely grateful for the outpouring of support we have received during the past two decades, and we look forward to working with our colleagues and community residents for my more years to come. – Click here to see pictures
- Please enjoy Sherrod & Bernard, P.C.’s August 2012 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., congratulates Ken Bernard on his appointment to the Board of Governors for the State Bar of Georgia and selection into membership of the Southern Trial Lawyers Association.
- Please enjoy our law firm’s May 2012 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- John Sherrod was a guest speaker at the Southern Trial Lawyers Association’s annual conference in New Orleans. John spoke on trial tactics used in a recent case.
- Please enjoy our December 2011 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- Please enjoy our September 2011 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- Congratulations to John Sherrod and legal team at SB on $2,000,000.00 jury verdict in Fulton County State Court. Serious worksite injury in which insurance carrier and global company offered $0. Well done for deserving client!
- The Atlanta Journal ran a story about a case that Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., tried with an excellent result for a deserving client – September 28, 2011
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is proud to announce that our own Ken Bernard was recently re-elected to serve a second term as Chairman of the University System of Georgia Foundation, Inc. Ken, also a Board of Regent Member, will oversee the foundation that supports the primary goal of the university system and its 35 colleges and universities to ensure access to academic excellence in educational opportunities for all Georgians. Congratulations Ken! http://www.usgfoundation.org/.
- Please enjoy our June 2011 Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- John Sherrod, a member of the Southern Trial Lawyers Association, recently attended the group’s annual conference and seminar held in New Orleans. The seminar was informative on a variety of topics that affect seriously injured or wrongful death victims in their quest for restitution in the civil justice system. The highlight of the trip was a private dinner that John attended honoring Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Carol Hunstein. Justice Hunstein is a jurist that shows fairness to all parties and believes that the right to trial by jury is absolute in the civil justice system. She recently wrote the opinion that did away with the law placing caps on damages in medical malpractice cases as a violative of the right to trial by jury.
- Please enjoy our February 2011 Newsletter and we welcome your comments
- John Sherrod and Lindsey Sherrod were guests of Pres. Carter at a Carter Center breakfast.
- Please enjoy our 2010 Christmas Newsletter and we welcome your comments.
- Ken Bernard has been selected to serve on the search committee for the next Chancellor of the University System of Georgia.
- Ken Bernard has been selected to serve on the Macon State College Presidential search committee by the Board of Regents.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is proud to announce the selection of partner and Board of Regents member Ken Bernard to the search committee for the next Chancellor of University System of Georgia. Bernard is also currently serving as the Chairman of the University System of Georgia Foundation, Inc., which supports student scholarships and faculty recognition awards throughout the 35 Georgia public colleges and universities within the University System of Georgia.For more info: http://www.ajc.com/news/regents-form-chancellor-search-719593.html
- Douglasville…and now Atlanta. In order to accommodate our clients’ needs, Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is now able to hold conferences, depositions and client meetings in our newest office space in Atlanta. If Atlanta is more convenient to you, please let us know.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., partner Ken Bernard cuts the ribbon marking the opening of Georgia Highlands College’s Douglasville Campus at a ceremony held in Douglasville on August 5, 2010. As a Regent of the University System of Georgia, Ken has worked tirelessly for several years to ensure access to public higher education is available to the citizens of West Georgia. GHC has partnered with the University of West Georgia in order to allow GHC students, who successfully complete GHC’s program, to gain entrance into the University of West Georgia.
- On July 31, 2010, Ken Bernard gave the commencement speech to the graduating class of University of West Georgia. Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is pleased to share that speech with our clients and friends.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is proud to announce that our own Ken Bernard was elected Chairman of the University System of Georgia Foundation, Inc. Ken, also a Board of Regent Member, will oversee the foundation that supports the primary goal of the university system and its 35 colleges and universities to ensure access to academic excellence in educational opportunities for all Georgians. Congratulations Ken! http://www.usgfoundation.org/
- Please enjoy this brochure about our firm and recent cases that we have handled
- Please enjoy our summer newsletter and we welcome your comments
- Newnan newspaper does story on wrongful death case handled by Sherrod & Bernard, P.C.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is pleased to share our inaugural newsletter. We hope that you enjoy it.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is pleased to announce that John Sherrod is now a member of the Southern Trial Lawyers Association which supports such fine causes as MADD, American Diabetes Association and the Brain Injury Assoc. of America.
- John Sherrod recently attended the 22nd annual conference of the Southern Trial Lawyers Association held in New Orleans, Louisiana. This conference was exclusively for lawyers who represent personal injury and wrongful death victims. Topics covered at this three day event included birth trauma cases, trucking and auto crashes, medical illustrations to prove injuries, medical negligence cases, accident reconstruction, life care plans with catastrophic cases, neuropsychological testing to prove pain and other areas of personal injury trial work. This was an excellent event and will help our firm in handling these types of cases.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., supports The Optimist Club of Douglas County, one of the community’s bedrock service organizations, in their 12th annual “Kids Blue Light Special” by sponsoring a child. This Christmas holiday project enables local needy children the opportunity to go on a “shopping spree”, accompanied by an officer from the Douglasville Police Department.
- Unless you have purchased flood insurance, you may have a problem recovering insurance proceeds to cover damage to your home caused by the recent flooding. The standard homeowner’s insurance policy seldom covers damage caused by a flood. Instead, these policies cover water damage caused by busted pipes, overflowing tubs and toilets, leaking water heaters and similar occurrences. Flood insurance is required to cover damage to your home and property from rising water caused by flooding.Thankfully, you may qualify for governmental aid when the President makes an official disaster declaration. This federal money will be combined with other state and local funds to help victims with temporary housing and for home repairs not covered by insurance.
The President declared parts of western metro Atlanta a disaster from the recent flooding which will free up relief money. The counties qualifying include: Cobb, Douglas, Paulding, Carroll and Cherokee. You should contact your insurance agent to start the claim process.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., now has a Facebook page. We invite our clients and friends to become fans and keep up with the latest developments with our firm and the laws that affect your rights.
- The Georgia Court of Appeals recently decided the case of McDuffie vs. Coweta County which involved a family bringing a wrongful death case after a tractor tire exploded on a county vehicle resulting in the death of a 36 year old man. The Court of Appeals held that the trial court was in error to dismiss the case and found that the County had insurance in place for this tragic incident. The case will now go back to the trial court where the family will have their day in court. The family is represented by John W. Sherrod of our firm. Read the complete decision in McDuffie vs. Coweta County.
- John Sherrod attended the Personal Injury Marketing Management Summit. The two day event was held in San Antonio, Texas and was attended by lawyers who specialize in representing victims of serious injuries. Experts from across the country spoke on a variety of topics that will help Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., continue to provide efficient and quality representation to all its clients including those involved in Personal Injury and Workers Compensation cases.
- Ken Bernard served as manager of the 2009 Boundary Waters Bronco Blue All Star (12U) baseball team which won the Georgia Pony Baseball Bronco Division State Title. This is Ken’s second year in a row of managing Georgia State Pony Baseball Champions, as the 2008 Boundary Waters Mustang Blue All Star (10U) baseball team won last year’s Mustang title. Ken has served as President of Douglas County Youth Baseball League, Inc., since it was organized and began play more than 3 years ago.
- “On July 21, 2009 Ken Bernard was reappointed as Chairman of the Organization and Law Committee of the Board of Regents . The Organization and Law Committee oversees the legal affairs and attorneys for the thirty-five (35) universities and colleges within the University System of Georgia.”
- Ken Bernard was appointed Vice Chairman of the Leadership Development Task Force for the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. The task force is designed to catalog and inventory leadership development activities throughout the 35 public universities and colleges in Georgia , seek collaboration for system leadership improvement, and develop best practices.
- Kenneth R. Bernard, Jr. and Arnold J. Weil, M.D. held a luncheon to discuss the non-surgical treatment of patients with back/spine pain and a variety of other orthopaedic conditions, including herniated disc injuries. Dr. Weil specializes in the non-surgical treatment of pain and disability management. The luncheon was intended to further Sherrod & Bernard, P.C.’s efforts to gain insightful information on pain management options from one of the country’s pioneers in non-surgical treatment of injuries.
- Ken Bernard recently attended the commencement ceremonies at Georgia Gwinnett College as a member of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents. The commencement speaker was General David H. Petraeus, Commander of the United States Central Command. General Petraeus was the General George C. Marshall Award winner as the top graduate of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College Class of 1983. He subsequently earned MPA and Ph.D. degrees in international relations from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, and later served as an Assistant Professor of International Relations at the U.S. Military Academy. He also completed a fellowship at Georgetown University. General Petraeus is a close friend of Dr. Daniel J. Kaufman, President GGC. Dr. Kaufman also served in the United States Army as a Brigadier General and was the former Dean of the Academic Board at the United States Military Academy, West Point.
- John Sherrod attended the Lawyers Inner Circle Marketing & Management Summit 2009. The two day event was held in Cary, North Carolina and provided invaluable information on law firm management. A panel of experts from across the country spoke on a variety of topics that will assist our firm in continuing to provide efficient and quality representation in the serious injury case.
- Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., sought and recovered workers compensation benefits for a client that was catastrophically injured on the job. Aside from weekly income benefits and medical treatment, our firm was successful in getting the insurance company to provide our client with handicap accessible housing. Below are photographs of the construction in progress of our client’s new home.
- The drugmaker Merck & Company has agreed to set aside $4.85 billion to settle approximately 50,000 cases related to the painkiller VIOXX and its purported detrimental side effects including heart attacks, strokes and death. Sherrod & Bernard, P.C., is involved in assisting several plaintiffs with these cases including the widow of an individual who suffered a fatal heart attack after being prescribed VIOXX.
- Ken Bernard was honored to introduce Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle on behalf of the Douglas County Chamber of Commerce at its annual Gala.
- Ken Bernard was admitted to membership in the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
- Ken Bernard was appointed Chairman of the Organization and Law Committee of the Board of Regents. His committee oversees the legal affairs of the University System of Georgia and its 35 public universities and colleges.
- Ken Bernard was appointed by Gov. Sonny Perdue to serve on the Board of Regents, which oversees the University System of Georgia and its 35 public universities and colleges.
- Ken Bernard was reappointed County Attorney for Douglas County, Georgia.
- Ken Bernard continues to serve as General Counsel to the Douglas County Board of Education.